View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Using Mobilepre to check my preamp

Welcome to the DUC. You should not need Pro Tools to troubleshoot this.

"I've connected the XLR cable left and right (one at a time, seperately) from preamp out to Mobilepre in." This is incorrect. Doing it this way means you are feeding a preamp out(line level) into a Mic-level input. You should use a cable with XLR at the preamp output and TRS at the MobilePre input.

"Gain on XLR in (left or right) is turned all the way up to maximum. "Again incorrect, or an indication that something is not working correctly. Feeding a line-level signal into the XLR input SHOULD be causing it to be extremely over-driven and distorted.

Repeat the test using the proper cable and start with the MobilePre GAIN all the way down. Set the preamp gain to give the proper meter reading on the preamp(and let us know what that preamp is). Once the preamp gain is set correctly, bring up the MobilePre gain enough to give a decent recording level into Audacity. If it still doesn't sound geed, try plugging the mic into the MobilePre XLR input and verify the mic works(and tell us what mic it is)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave