View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Any ideas on channel spill for Field Recorder "Functionality"?

Ray,

from looking at the media files it seems that this was recorded on an Aaton Cantar. I'm not sure what happens on that machine when you do not record the Xa/Xb tracks which are normally the mix-tracks. I always thought the machine records those tracks all the time. Maybe the recordist set his media routing to not hand over Xa/Xb to the transfer to the cutting room and that causes this glitch in combination with the poly-rotate function.

Look at the originals in WaveAgent or soundminer. It will show the Cantar's firmware. Some recordists are using beta-versions or pre-releases.

Maybe there's a bug in the firmware that causes this.

Like Mark said I'd simply match back to the originals, which is what I generally do.

You might have to change your criteria to avoid getting duplicate matches to the AVID media AND the BWAVs.

Unfortunately AVID still hasn't given us a simple checkbox that tells PT to ignore the clip list when matching.

The best match criteria for Cantar is turn every option OFF and just keep 'Tape name to sound roll name' on and only that. Sorting to your taste. This will give you just the matches from what you set in the "folders to search" window.

Not really a lot of help from me but avoiding the AVID media entirely is what I'd do.

The weird A0 tracks seem to be normal for Cantar based projects. The avid media in my past Cantar based projects was also MXF and none of the track names came across with the MXF media. But we conformed everything to the BWAVs and are fine once that's done.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 03-16-2016 at 04:26 AM.