View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 AM

Default Clicks and Pops w PT 11.x.x and EW CCC2

Sorry for the length and same ol' topic, but I didn't see any specific threads on this topic for users of EW CCC2 on ProTools 11. And I'd appreciate a "kind" response to a non-techie and newbie please!

I received a brand new iMac recently (specs at bottom) in hopes of improving the overall performance of PT and my EW CCC2 instruments for a project I'm orchestrating. But I'm now intermittently getting out of memory buffer errors and pops clicks. I have the buffering set as high as PT's will allow, including inside PLAY (the MBOX on the iMac doesn't have an option to change buffering like the older version did on my Windows when I had it). I've optimized my iMac to Avid's suggested setup. I've ensured applications and hardware including PT's, PLAY, MBox, etc. are as up to date as possible. I've reviewed the MBox settings against the PLAY settings against the PT device settings to ensure everything appears balanced. And while I'm on the latest v11xx of PT's, which is supposed to handles processing MUCH better than previous versions with 64bit architecture and improved low latency buffering, I am getting more clicks and pops now than I did on my 2 yr old MacBook pro with far less horsepower.

Culling through online threads I've seen all sorts of opinions but nothing that I haven't tried has helped (e.g. reinstalling a clean PT's, ensuring all SW/Drivers/BIOS up to date, removing PT quicktime server process, repair disk permissions, delete databases and preferences, etc.). I'm afraid to make too many more adjustments on a brand new machine. It may be possible that something is amuck with HW (cables, line conditioning issues, etc., etc.), but I doubt that since everything was working better with the older computer (and still does). I really thought AVID's improvements with things like the 64bit SW and improvements to low latency buffering would solve this.

So... Any OTHER recommendations anyone might consider? Someone recommended I move my Virt Inst's to Vienna Ensemble Pro (?) but that would require yet ANOTHER machine, right? Frustrating.....

All my best,
Isaac