View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscholl View Post
Hey all - I'm reading some encouraging comments that might help me get up-to-speed with the newer PT software.

My background is old school Pro Tools LE 8 (don't laugh, it still works great on my 2008 Mac Pro 5!) but I recently got a used iMac 27-inch (late 2013) that might be able to handle the newer PT software. The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm also wondering if my MBOX3 Pro or 003+ will interface well with the newer PT software.

Would appreciate comments from those with experience. Thank you!
Last things first - you're going to need adapters to go from the iMacs Thunderbolt to the Firewire connections on your interfaces. Next is your OSX as Avid no longer supports High Sierra with current versions of PT. That being said I have a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater running OSX 10.13.6 on 48 gig of ram and it runs ok. You should really move up to either Mojave or Catalina with a clean install of OSX and all your programs.

That brings up yet another fly in the ointment - will your interfaces work in one of those newer OSX's? It looks like the Mbox 3 Pro will work on Mojave OSX 10.14.4 according to this page: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ox-Pro-Drivers It looks like the latest versions of PT aren't supported. Can't seem to find anything for the 003 though.

What's your system hard drive? Please tell me it's NOT a Fusion drive as those are death to using for recording. In any case you should really think about recording to a separate drive.

QAPLA!