View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Default Re: EastWest in PT 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
EW Pianos on Play still hasn't made it into significant rotation in my tool box yet. 1.1.6 was unusable. 1.1.13 was an improvement, but I still ran into enough glitches that I just couldn't count on it to be there when I needed it. 1.2 is pretty new. It seems to be an improvement over 1.1.13, but I haven't had time to work it though the paces.
  • 1.2 seems to have a lower memory footprint - this is significant, given PT8's current lack of 64-bit support.
  • The engine has had fewer glitches, i.e. repeated notes, stuttering notes, early cutoffs, etc. Actually, I haven't run into this on 1.2 yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's been solved.
  • I still have the "frozen gui" problem on PT8cs2. I think EW diagnosed this one incorrectly. They believe it's a PT8 issue with dual monitors, but I don't think so. I've experienced it on 7.4, and with a single monitor, too. I think there's a problem with some other VSTs that causes this. The workaround is to make sure Play is the first VST that's loaded. So, just make all your other tracks inactive when you save the session, and then activate them after Play has loaded. It's a little extra work, but it's not a big deal.
Also, the following can help
  • Use Engine Level 0 - there's no real advantage in increasing it, especially on 32-bit machines
  • Use the Lite patches - you don't really have enough memory under PT to use more than that
  • Disable the reverb if you don't need it (I think it doesn't work at all under 1.2, but I haven't had time to verify, and I don't really care)
  • Try to use one mic position
  • I don't have space here to get into how it works, but learn how to use the Sample Purge buttons under Advanced Properties for rendering tracks. It's in the manual.
hey this helped me too somewhat but not enough to use it confidently in a session. which sucks because play makes the best sample libraries imo