View Single Post
Old 07-20-2000, 11:32 PM

Default Re: The \'second hard drive for audio\' route....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ThomCat:
nuke...

IMHO I think that partitioning gains you very little in track count, which in part is based on faster access and read/write time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a small partition is better for your working audio session because of the way Protools wants to use your disk. It likes to allocate files and stuff as you record, and on a large partition, there can be a lag time due to all the access that has to go on. (ie, hit record and nothing happens for several seconds)

I did something similar, I have the factory 10G drive (as master - makes no difference really) and added a 34 Gig IBM 7200RPM drive as slave on that bus.

The 34 gig is partitioned as 3x 5-gig segments and a 15 gig segment.

I use the small 5 giggers for working sessions. I keep an extra system folder on the 15Gig partition in case my main drive bytes the dust.

When I'm not working on a session, I just copy it over to the 15 gig section, erase the small partition and start a new session, or retrieve an older one for work.

The process of copying all the files onto a clean partition will defrag the files automatically. Plus, I at least have some minimal backup on the other partition.

I put stuff ready for CD burns onto the 15 gig section too.

It works for me.