View Single Post
Old 07-20-2000, 08:02 PM

Default Re: The \'second hard drive for audio\' route....

nuke...

IMHO I think that partitioning gains you very little in track count, which in part is based on faster access and read/write time. But every microsecond counts, and since the fastest access is on the outer part of the drive, here is what I do:

I partion a 9G drive with 2 partitions, first a 2G which uses the outer part of the platters, and then a 7G for the rest. I use the 2G partition as a working area for tracking and multi-track mixdowns (the latter being the most demanding task for your drive) but I target the finished project to the other partition for storage of the mixdown file.(Targeting the original partition would actually be a scoche faster, but read on.) Then I move the original tracks to the same directory I just put the mixdown in, which since it's on a different partition, is a simple copy. Now I can wipe the faster 2G partition clean for a new project.

I also use DiskExpress Pro to defrag, as it lets you place target files at the outer sectors of a partition to maximize access and read/write time. Of course I'm not sure if I'm gaining all that much, but it's a system that works well and is easy to manage. Comments anyone?