View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Default new MacBook question

I am back from the grave, been absent for quite some time and was without a computer, this weekend I purchased a new MacBook (dual 2.0, 1GB ram, etc.) and so far I'm loving it. I've already installed the new versions of Reason and Live, but have yet to do the PT thing as I was on 6.4 and have lost everything, serial number, books, etc. I realize I have to buy or pay an upgrade price to get 7 on my machine, then download 7.1.1 for the Intel support. How much will cost me I wonder? I emailed Digi, waiting to hear back. Anyways, glad to be back in the groove.

My question about the MacBook is this: It comes with an 80GB hard drive. Now I know there is always space taken off right away for the OS, indexing, etc., which would bring it down to 74GB. How is it that when I hit 'info' in my HD, it gives me this reading:

Capacity: 74.21 GB
Available: 55.03 GB
Used: 19.18 GB

I mean, I just got this thing, set it up, had to do a Software Update right away, and just last night installed Reason and Live. That's it. No iTunes, no mp3s, no sessions, no sounds, nothing! How did my HD capacity go down to 55 GB on an 80 GB drive, right out of the box? Again, I can understand 6GB scooped up right off the bat, but now we're talking almost 20 GB differential.

Any insight on this would be great, thanks!