View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Soft synth vs Hard synth! Reason, Pro 52, V St

NO Soft Synth for me, except on a seperate Computer!!

Iīve tried the the modular V itīsound OK but the thousands of unregognisable small knobs and connections are such a hassle adn the swithcing between the plug and the host programm is so unnverving. It leaves you with absolutley no feeling for the synth.
As do most Softsynths the try to emulate a vintage style Interface instad of using the possibilities and limits of a GUI.

Buy a hardsynth, it takes the load of your CPU and is much less hassle.
VIRUS and Waldorf are GREAT, I can also recommend one older Oberheim Matrix (6, or 1000 with PC editor/or sounddiver) they soudn really great and arenīt so expensive.

I would buy at least a VIRUS B since the new OS6 is also running on them, and has a lot of presure and modulation possibilities and 32 voices and sharp like a combatknife. The Q series has a slightly more versatile/complex modulation matrix, sounds a hint dirtier and with an OMEGA you get 75 voices, menaing you can run 16 different instrument patches with up to 4 simultatious notes through it. if thatīs not enough, and the arppegiator in the Q is more like a step-sequencer -GREAT
Both receive constant OS upgrades.
I have a microQ and a friend uses a VIRUS, best get them both you have a that can be acquired with synthetic sound)
also check out the clavia nord modular, this thing is great!!! Itīs like reaktor in a hardwarebox.
from FM synthesis to subtractive synthesis to drum machine to multi fx, you can programm wht you like, and ther are thousands of patches on the net.

And at last there is the tactile satisfaction - grip real kobs is so mmuch more fun than sliding the mouse!!! If you decide for softsynth also get a control surface, say doepfer drehbank or Evoltuion UC33 or something like that, itīs so much more fun that way.

just another opinion trying to help.
if your want to look further for soudn hardware try this:http://www.sonicstate.com and use the search box for the synth you like to kow about.

best