View Single Post
Old 08-17-2001, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How many plug-ins simultaneous...

I'm using the Digi 001 on a PIII 650. A typical session for my rock band uses about 19 audio tracks. I'll usually have at least 1 1band EQ on each. I don't compress every track, so I'll usually only be running 4 or 5 compressors and/or limiters. The Digirack EQs and compressor/limiters and De-essing plugs seem to use almost no processing power. I can run as many of these as I need it seems. The Mod Delay plugs seem pretty light on the CPU as well, as I usually have at least 3 or more delay plugs running as well.

So, just to guess, I'd say that I'm probably using 24+ EQ plugs, 6 limiters, 4 compressors, 4 de-essers, 3 mod delays, 2 D-Verbs, and a Dither on a typical mix. If I go for a third D-Verb, it's all over. But reverbs are usually run on an aux serving several audio tracks, so you don't need more than one or two verbs anyway. Mixes start sounding really wierd when you have a different verb on everything.

That's on a 650MHz PC. An 800MHz machine should get noticably better performance than that.

I think GroundZero was suggesting that you read the PT Perfomance thread which uses a test called the "Davec test" to compare perfomance of different PC configurations. There are a lot of systems tested, and you should be able to decide based on that information. Here's the link to that thread:

PT Performance

Mike

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: QuikDraw ]
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs