View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 01:41 PM

Default Mac Studio M1 Max Problems with 2022.5 Playback Engine

There is a problem with Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.5, the Mac Studio M1 Max and OS 12.4.
(I posted about this on the "New "Mac Studio" from Apple" thread, but I believe a new thread is necessary.)

The PT Playback Engine has no dropdown menu, it just shows Aggregate. I have not been able to test with Avid hardware.

All the interfaces I use appear in Audio Midi Setup and work perfectly with other manufacturer´s software.

The same interfaces appear correctly on a Silicon Macbook Pro running OS 12.4 and PT 2022.5, and on a Mac Pro running Mojave.
So it is only a problem with the Mac Studio.

To eliminate the possibility of any 3rd party driver problems, I just used Apple and Avid. I did a clean install of OS 12.4 on a new volume and just installed PT 2022.5, nothing else. I wanted to see if the dropdown menu appeared.
Mac Studio speakers appear in Audio Midi setup, but do not appear in the PT Playback engine. There is no dropdown menu.

So there we are, Avid has not configured PT 2022.5 correctly for the Mac Studio M1 Max.
2022.5 seems to work correctly on a silicon Mac, but not on the Mac Studio.

I have not been lucky with Avid support, unfortunately getting the same person each time I call or email.
Her analysis of the problem is that it is up to other manufacturers to make interfaces work with Avid.
She has failed to understand that there are only two manufactures here, Avid and Apple. Yet she knows, without testing with a Mac Studio, that it is not Avid´s fault!

Incredible.