View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Laptop virtual soundcheck multitracks?

[QUOTE=Chris Johnson;1671382]
Installing a MADI card is do-able, but requires some time and a screwdriver. Why not just tell the console vendor(s) to put one in?
QUOTE]

Telling a vendor to put one in will cost my customers $ if the vendor even has it available. I want to be able to use my system regardless of the vendor's price or availability, so I bought the card, and have now used it in 2 rigs with no madi issues, though some trouble getting the drives to keep recording.

I'm running it on a MacBookpro 17" with 8k RAM with Logic and Madiface card. Trying to record 44 channels at 48k 24 bit 90 minute shows I had lots of failures with notice that the drive couldn't keep up when using Firewire 800 powered drives. Using an Avastar drive (with IEC power cable) seemed to eliminate nearly all of failures, but still have had recording stop a couple of times. Still experimenting with buffer settings, etc.

It's working fine for my purposes of virtual sound checks. In my opinion it has already paid for itself as virtual soundcheck allowed me to quickly develop a polished mix in time for a show in front of management, making a good first impression jumping from monitors to FOH. But I'd like to be able to record whole shows reliably so I can offer it as an archival service to my customers. Maybe then I have a chance to get specific income to pay for it.
cheers,
denny