View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Using 1 pair of speakers to monitor PT and non-PT stuff

The Mbox 2 series is different from other Digi interfaces. They are CoreAudio compliant interfaces, meaning they don't require the same CoreAudio driver that the 002/003 need to pass Mac audio. They show up as a normal soundcard to the computer, and you can use it to pass audio just like it's the internal soundcard. It will even pass audio from other apps when Pro Tools is open, which is really useful.

I've seen some issues with this, though. My Micro will occasionally lock up the computer when I plug it in or unplug it. I have a friend with an Mbox 2 and he finds the Mbox drivers sometimes lock up and have been known to cause kernel panics from time to time. It's pretty much a draw on how well it will work. Personally, I use my 002 to listen to audio from other programs. Overall, things have worked well, but there are times when the Core Audio Driver just acts weird. I have a cable running to my Alt input so I can plug my MBP's audio out into it for when Pro Tools is running, or if the CAD ever acts up.