Thread: Mix Bus Plugs
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Mix Bus Plugs

hello

well.... i dont mix with it on all the time and it reads like Pony does. Also if you have read the indepth Charles Dye articles you will see what he says about it, the RECORD BUTTON section. I know that for Rock some of the top mixers dont until the mix is almost or "is" finished. I can only speak for what i have read in some of the posts and for myself. What i would strongly suggest, is that until you are really comfortable with applying good Mix buss compression, and are sure it is helping you and not hurting your mix and that you have a really good plug or outboard unit for mix buss compression....dont apply it permantley to the mix or rely on listening to it the whole time throughout the mixing process. As it could possibly cause problems with your overall mix, especially if you end up taking it off for some reason in the end or whatever after you might have had it on the whole time. Until you have got it down. That being said, play with it when you have time and practice. What i have read and do often, is turn it on here and there just to see how its tying everything together, as a sweetner and close to last addition. Maybe try sending multiple mixes to the mastering house you use next time. One with some compression on and one with none. The place i have used, has allowed me to send them multiple mixes so they can choose the one that will work best, for them, or in general. Some places will do that for you and not charge any extra. I have never really had any many problems with my mixes and the mastering houses. They usually think its just fine and done well. First few mixes i ever sent were a tiny bit muddy, other than that, they were ok. Adding mix buss compression is often met with many different opinions, pending on who's talking. Im sure you will get both sides of it from many members. Maybe setup a link for people on this site to listen to a version of your mix with it on and one off or whatever to help you out and give their opinions. Hope this helps and doesnt sound to elementary.

peace

giffinmike