View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: Satellite and Video LE Link. Will this work?

Greg,

I think I understand the configuration you are describing. Just to be sure let me describe it in a slightly different way...

Each of your suites has 1 Pro Tools HD system with a SYNC and 1 Pro Tools LE system with a MBox Micro and a DeckLink card for video playback. Each suite is running with the Pro Tools HD system linked to the Pro Tools LE system. There is one operator driving the 2 Pro Tools systems together to do their work.

You have a dub/mix stage with 1 Pro Tools HD system with a SYNC and 1 Pro Tools LE system with a MBox Micro and a DeckLinkcard for video playback (this is just the same as the suites).

You have various control surfaces hooked up to each Pro Tools HD system.

If all of that is correct...

I like to think of a "system" as being an independent Pro Tools or Media Composer computer. I like to think of a "configuration" as a group of Pro Tools and/or Media Composer "systems".

Pro Tools Satellite Link supports connecting up to 5 Pro Tools systems together into a single configuration. This could be 5 Pro Tools HD systems. This could be 4 Pro Tools HD systems and 1 Pro Tools LE system. There is a limit of only having 1 Pro Tools LE system or 1 Media Composer Video Satellite system connected at a time.

Now looking back at the systems and configurations you described...

You should be able to connect each of your Pro Tools HD systems in each suite to the dubber system and connect 1 of your Pro Tools LE systems together with no problems.

Each control surface controls the Pro Tools system that it is connected to. If the Pro Tools system is currently linked to another system both systems playback.

If you are running a Digidesign ICON D|Control, you can operate in what we call "multi-mode". This allows the D|Control to connect to 4 Pro Tools systems and quickly switch between the various Pro Tools systems. This is a very cool feature and it works really well in conjunction with Satellite Link.

Please let me know if all of this makes sense or if you have any other questions.