View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Question about Pro Tools 11 HD (And Not Upgrading to pt12 until later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Indeed. They didn't expect such a backlash when introducing this new program and there might be some changes. Let's hope so.
I think there will be because I don't think there are very many in favor of this sales model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
I found this on the Avid web site:

"The Avid Support Reinstatement Fee is a charge that is assessed to any customer who chooses to re-activate a lapsed Avid Support contract or who chooses to activate an Avid Support contract after the standard warranty period for their product has expired. The fee is added to the cost of the Avid Support Contract. Customers that re-activate their support contracts after allowing them to expire enjoy the same benefits of the most up-to-date technology as those customers who consistently maintain their coverage. The reinstatement fee ensures that all customers share equally in the cost of continual improvements to their Avid solutions."

"The fee is 25% of the total cost of the Avid ExpertPlus Support contract (or the Standard Support cost for Software Only systems) for the Avid system being covered. In some cases, it may be more cost effective for customers to back-date the new Avid Support Contract to cover the time that has elapsed since the expiration of the original contract. This option is usually preferable for systems that have been without active Avid Support Coverage for less than 90 days. An Avid reseller can help you determine which choice makes sense for you."

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Paper/en279501

This is not referring to the current issue dealing with PT11 but rather other support contracts going back to 2008. The page was last updated in 2012. It may be of help understanding Avid's past dealings with support contracts, but it may not be an indicator of future policies. It appears to apply to the Media Composer product.
I could live with this. I just hope they dont make the HD upgrades go away. They are pricey but I could see myself a few versions down the line buying one. Maybe HD 11 to HD 14 for 999 or something that would be Ok if i got my use out of 11. Maybe avid is realizing their software is almost complete, and are running out of ways to re invent / sell it? So they are trying to sell you the updates to keep it running on new systems? I understand everyone has to get paid, and they invested a lot of time and money into rewriting pro tools for 64 bits so they are trying to make that back. Pro tools is its best ever right now. Just dont go ruining it. The money will come, word of mouth will sell it more than anything else. Keep advertising and pushing new features do some partnerships, include it bundled with certain brands of computers, find a new way to make your interface / software available to everyone. do pro tools on mobile phones. theres tons of ways to monetize the name and the software other than this model. as a customer it turns me off and makes me worry. I want to be excited about pro tools again like when Pro tools 11 came out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
That reference is from 2008, I doubt it has any relevance to today.
I hope things change for the better