View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Default Question about Pro Tools 11 HD (And Not Upgrading to pt12 until later)

Lets pretend I'm someone who doesn't get out much or read the internet to find out about this new Avid policy on pro tools.

Lets say I never find about about the support plan or updates or any of that and just keep working happily on my PTHD Native rig for a few years. Because it works so well and I dont feel a need to upgrade or check for an upgrade.

Then a new operating system version comes out and has a few features I would want to use, and the version of Pro tools 11 that I had is no longer compatible. What would be my choices? Would I be able to simply purchase a pro tools HD upgrade like in the past or has that gone away? In the past you could buy a regular upgrade from HD 9 to HD 11 and things like that. Will that still be possible? Without support plans and stuff like that?

I read if you dont purchase some kind of upgrade by December 31 2015 you will never be able to get another update again? Is this information correct? So what would I do with my HD Native system if i needed to update it after. I dont feel like in the next year I am going to update it. It's actually really good right now and it will be for a few years I think. So lets say in a few years I decide to upgrade my Mac OSX version and PT 11 is no longer supported. What would I do then? Just buy another HD License on Ebay for full price? or will I even be able to do that?

From what I hear if I do not upgrade by december 31 2015 im basically stuck at 11 with my hardware forever. That seems unfair for a customer that spent 4 thousand to upgrade from a Digi 003. I spent a lot of money and it was a burden for me to spend it. I don't regret it as the software and hardware is great, but I have no other money at this time and I spent the money so it would last me. So what is going on? Please let me know before I assume anything.

I dont know what to think about these upgrades from the FAQ to all the people complaining. Does anyone have any information on things like this?