View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 09:45 PM

Default Re: First experience with NVMe M.2 in enclosure - bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
I have one of these that works well on my 2015 rMBP and even better on my i9 PC with Thunderbolt 3, comes with both cables.

SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure

Ordered this on today for my sample libraries on the rMBP that I just got PT 2022.7 on along with a new WD 1TB NVMe drive.

SSK Aluminum USB C to M.2 NVMe SSD Tool-Free Enclosure Reader

I’ve got another one of the SSK enclosures for a 512Gb M.2 SATA drive I’ve been using without issue.

I would suggest the 1st link at the top because it comes with thermal material, not sure about the 2nd as someone said the 2nd linked item just relied on drive to housing and getting very hot.
As Ben points out these are all USB enclosures and will run slower than a Thunderbolt enclosure.

--

All these small passively cooled enclosures may show thermal throttling effects if you are throwing sustained workloads at them, but then most Pro Tools users don't do that so these may never suffer from that.

OTOH if you are on Mac and want the lowest cost way of getting access to fast SSD performance a single modern M.2 drive in a single slot carrier on a Thunderbolt 3/4 bus is a good choice. I go a different route with multiple M.2 cards in a PCIe expansion chassis, better sustained cooling and have too many M.2 drives and too few Thunderbolt busses.