View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Midi notes hanging

In my case, the problem with external MIDI device notes randomly "hanging" or "sticking" seems to be related to the M-Audio MIDI interface.

After searching outside the DUC for a resolution to the issue, I noticed several other people having the same problems using different DAWs. The main thing they had in common was M-Audio interface used as a MIDI controller (here's just one of many examples).

The solution for me was to switch over to USB. As soon as I did, BAM!!! no more sticking notes.

I realize not everybody has an external device that's USB MIDI capable, so I still hope the issue is addressed (or at least acknowledged) by Avid, but I definitely wouldn't hold my breath.

As a side note, I never had any problems using the MIDI ports on my 1814 until I upgraded drivers in anticipation of PT 8. So, it seems likely to me that something changed in the way the 1814 handles MIDI info between upgrades. If I hadn't already wasted so much time trying to figure out the issue (with no help from Avid, BTW), I'd take the time to figure out exactly which firmware update caused the problem to start occurring.

If you decide to make the switch, be sure and unplug your 5 pin MIDI cables before you test the new setup unless you like the sound of never-ending device feedback :)

Good luck.

Keywords: MIDI note hang, stick, freeze, hold