View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Well, this is a fun way to start my HDX adventure. Doing stuff around the studio and listening to some high-res 96K masters from a Pro Tools session. Very basic 96K session with only a few tracks. Nothing else going on in the computer, no firewire, no external drives of any sort. Only "extra" thing is that I am connected via Ethernet cable networked my old PT 10 HD Accel Mac. But PT and the session files are running off my brand new, mostly empty SSD drive in a SATA bay. Couple minutes into listening I get an AEA -9073 error and playback just stops. This is the kind crap I was so nervous about when thinking about doing a big "upgrade".

Screenprint attached. Don't suppose there's an easy fix/answer to this one...?
2 suggestions.

1 - Absolutely use the Disk Cache, as ScottG suggested.

2 - If the SSD is in one of the sleds in those older Mac Pros, you are not getting full speed from it. The bandwidth on those SATA channels is only max 300MB/second. You can get double that, full-speed (max 600MB/second) by mounting the SSD on a PCI card (Sonnet and OWC make them). If you got clever and put the SSD in the spare (or main) optical bay, you'll only be getting max 180MB/second.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro