View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Atmos beds and scene boundaries

Depends on each scene, each situation is different. I follow no "frame or half frame fade rules". I think some of that thinking comes from tv land where they mix as a factory "put a 1/2 frame fade on each transition no matter what". It is all about each scene, and how it sounds best. Sometimes an instant cut, fits the scene just right, while other timer a fade is what is required. There is also the relative volume level of the incoming and outgoing material to be considered. For example if you re going from the loud noise of the interior of a factory sound to the quietness of a calm country night, I think a hard cut may play much better than a sloppy fade (because the relative volume difference between the two backgrounds).

One thing you may want to consider is that the automation (all automation pertinent tot he region/transition ) does not have 90 degree changes at the start or end of the region that you are transitioning. If the automation is "correct as in not containing square drops or raises", and your system is set to auto read "non-written fades", you will hear NO POPS expect for some that may appear in LFE. LFE sometimes needs a different discrete fades.