View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 02:11 PM

Default Re: horrible quality input sound digi 002 rack

And you have not answered the question about the pickup. This stuff matters and we would not ask if it didn't. And, as I already said, sticking a mic in front of the guitar is likely to produce a much better sound than ANY pickup through almost ANY direct box(which is why nobody records acoustic guitar with a pickup)

So, here is how to get a good acoustic recording:
1-a decent guitar with good strings.
2-in a decent sounding room(without reflections back into the mic). We can give advice on acoustic treatments on a budget if you need that).
3-with a decent microphone in a good position(often 10" away at the neck/body joint). A lowly SM57 can do okay, but a small condenser would be better. Put on your headphones, set a good level and move the mic around to find where it sounds the best.
4-thru a decent preamp(the preamps on the 002 are adequate for a novice, but as your skills improve, so should your preamp and mic.
5-played by a decent player(that's you).
6-embellished with a little EQ and compression. Try dipping a bit at 400Hz and a smaller dip at 1.6Khz(seems to work quite often for me)
7-and add just a touch of reverb/ambience(faster song=shorter reverb).
8-make all these EQ/compression/reverb choices while listening to decent speakers(its tough to make good mix decisions if you are not hearing accurate sound).

Sorry, but notice that "pickup" and "DI" are not on the list At this point, another important question is; do you have a microphone and does that sound okay on your guitar, or on your voice?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave