View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Avid proves yet again how useless they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... and yet the thought did not occur to you that you could perhaps record a 2-track (or 5.1 track or whatever) of some sections, then making them inactive? My point being you only need max performance when you do those 500 tracks live on one take. After that you can spare your resources and keep working on what you are working on.
I have done some submixing and bouncing in the past, depending on the application. But the schedule was extremely tight in this case, and pre-mix time was very limited, so I wanted to keep the mix as virtual as possible until the final dub in the venue.

Also, mixing for a flying theater ride is a very unusual speaker configuration where the are multiple, horizontal rows of speakers arrayed in a vertical plane behind a curved perf screen that the audience is pushed into while sitting on a ride vehicle. So, bouncing down to stereo or 5.1 isn't really possible.

The session ended up working fine. The CPU spiking was only occasional, and totally manageable. In fact, Pro Tools was quite a champ! Also a note that this was before 2021.6 came out and I was using voice packs for a total of 768 available voices.