View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Re: MIDI Controller Setup

I assume you have the Keyboard setup in the AudioMIDI Setup application, even though you didn't mention this step. If not, you should complete this step.

First, a MIDI track just records MIDI data, which has no association with sound/audio. It is merely data that, simply put, represents when a specific key was pressed, how hard, and how long it was held (among other things). Then you have to send that MIDI data to a virtual instrument (like Boom or Xpand2) or an external MIDI device that is capable of converting that note information into a Piano or Guitar playing that note. That is a very "nutshell" type of description, but hopefully it helps.

Create a stereo Instrument track; insert Boom or another VI; show the "instrument" section in the Mix window; set the MIDI input to All (or your keyboard); make sure the MIDI output reads "Boom" or what ever VI you loaded; then you should be able to record and playback MIDI.

I might advise you to start with Xpand2, and load a patch, like Piano, first to get things setup right. That way you are loading a patch where all keys and octaves of your keyboard will trigger a sound. I haven't really used Boom much (maybe just once when I first got v8 to see what it was about), but it is possible that not all the keys/octaves will trigger a sound (as there are far fewer sounds to trigger in a VI like Boom).

I hope I didn't lose you.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music