View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 03:17 AM

Default Shortcut for assigning multiple VI outputs to multiple auxes>>>

I learned this one some time back and thought I'd share since I don't see it in the list of shortcuts.
It's an effective shortcut for auto-assigning multiple outs from a VI to multiple aux or instrument channel inputs simultaneously instead of one by one.

After configuring the VI for multi-output*, create the number of aux or instrument channels and Shift-select for multiple assignment.

Press Ctrl + Shift + Alt (Windows) or Command + Shift + Option? (Mac) Whatever the Mac equivalent is.

Click the input drop-down menu in the I/O section of the first aux or instrument track that have been added to the session.

Now choose "plug-in" > and the VI you want to assign. You will see a list of the VI's available outputs.

Output #1 is already assigned to the original instrument track.
With the shortcut keys still pressed select the next available output (#2 or 3-4).
The rest of the outputs will now automatically be assigned to each aux/instrument input in sequential order.

Of course, you may have a pre-assigned template already created.
You can use the shortcut when creating a new template or if you feel like starting from scratch.**

* Some VI's like Kontakt require a PT restart before the new output configuration takes effect and shows in the list.

** If you're starting from scratch & there are no other channels to interfere with, you can also just press Ctrl + Alt which will auto-assign ALL.

PS: I've been using multiple instrument channels to receive my VI drum outputs instead of aux inputs because the instrument tracks aren't created solo-safe by default like the new aux channels in PT.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 02-16-2024 at 06:01 PM.