View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Share your Pro Tools regions with other apps...

Quote:
Rail,very cool, I think.But it is very early in the morning and the fog hasn't lifted.Can you just briefly give me the practical application in a few words.I promise to buy one if you do
There are a few applications.. if you want to prepare a CD, you can now BTD your complete album inside Pro Tools and import the bounced file and then separate the regions for each track... you then name each region for each song, select them all and press CTRL+SHIFT+Y to export the region definitions.. you can now open the WAV file in any CD burning app in the list and access the tracks... without having to export each song as a separate sound file. This saves you both time and disk space.

Game developers record the dialog into Pro Tools and have to batch process hundreds of little regions... they used to have to record the audio and create the regions in Pro Tools and export each region as a separate audio file for processing in Sound Forge. You can find the genesis for this app in the DUC thread here.

If you only have a DirectX plug-in.. and you want to tune a phrase of a full vocal.. you simply select the region in Pro Tools and export it (CTRL+SHIFT+Y), now open your other app which has DirectX support and process the region without having to redefine it.. save the WAV file and return to Pro Tools and continue working and the region still is defined.

Of course, it works both ways.. you can also see regions defined in other apps in Pro Tools or when you go to the Import Audio dialog… so you don’t have to import the whole file and create the region.. it’s already done.

I’m sure there are many more uses and I hope users will add their own application tips to this thread… however these are the most common.

I recommend you download the demo and play with it.. you may find you use it more than you thought (if you have any of the other apps).

It’s definitely not a replacement for the OMF tool – this will let you open the sound file in your other app and have the same region definitions you have in the other recognized. If you're not using the OMF tool, then Region Synch will let you see the regions defined in the other app.. even when they send you only audio files consolidated from Bar 1 Beat 1.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••