View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Avid HDX latency PTHD vs other DAWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollet View Post
I know this thread is old, but since I was looking forever for a solution, there is: right-click HDX in audio-midi setup, select "configure device". There you can the the buffer which adds onto your DAW's

According to the first post, the OP has already tried setting the buffer to its lowest setting. Their experience with Avid coreaudio drivers is similar to a lot of other peoples, I think. Reducing the sample buffer will help minimise the latency, but it still doesn't get HDX or HDN devices anywhere near the latency they have inside Pro Tools, or other low-latency native counterparts like RME or Lynx devices.

Some food for thought. At 48kHz:
- HDX has a base latency of ~1.7ms in Pro Tools.
- HD Native with a 32 sample buffer will have a latency of ~2.5ms in Pro Tools.

When running in Logic with a 32 sample buffer using the coreaudio drivers, they both have a latency of around ~14ms. For some people that will work just fine, but for many people who purchased HDX or HDN to use for low latency monitoring, it is obviously magnitudes worse under coreaudio/ASIO than it is inside of Pro Tools. Just for comparisons sake, an RME HDSPe Madi card will have a latency of ~3ms at 32 sample buffers in both Pro Tools & Logic. To get anywhere near the ~14ms of HDX or HDN running under coreaudio, you would need to set the RME to a sample buffer of 256.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.