View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re:Keys to Success at a Studio (From \"Employment\")

Quote:

A certification tells people in and out of the industry that YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF! The reason the tests are so "rediculously" hard is, If you can know all those things and think on your feet quickly enough to figure out some "Odd Ball" situations then you REALLY DO "Know Your Stuff" and have a value above another canidate without the certification.

Eric
I don't know if I can totally agree with you on this one, Eric. I've talked to studio owners that asked me how well I knew Pro Tools (or wanted to give me an editing exam to find out), knowing that I had certification. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. Most studios don't know what it takes to become certified, so they don't really put much value in it. You could still pass the exams without KNOWING it anyway. The exams don't involve working in Pro Tools- they're just multiple choice questions. You don't really know it until you work with it everyday for 10-12 hours a day and have to troubleshoot it (which may or may not be in school). THAT's where you learn "odd ball situations and thinking quickly on your feet." As I said before, certification doesn't hurt and can definitely push you over the top, but the important thing is making connections. And by the way, I didn't say the exams were "ridiculously hard" I said they were ridiculously impractical. Just sayin'... Have a good one.

scott