View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Update PT 2020.9 to 2021.7 on Windows 10 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
1) Yes, but as I said, choose the "complete option", the one including the HD driver. If you don't have Ultimate, you don't need it, but it doesn't harm anything if you do install it. However, if you don't uninstall, when you go to install Pro Tools, the installer thinks a version of Pro Tools is still installed - at least it did. Many PT users uninstall the Cloud Collaboration and Avid Link after each new install. Personally, I use CCleaner to prevent Avid Link from starting at boot as occasionally I still use it, but don't want it taking up any system resources.

2) Not in my experience. I have a lot of Avid plug-ins not part of the stock one and lots of third-party plug-ins and I've removed and reinstalled Pro Tools any number of times and never lost any of them.

3) No

4) I've never used Windows Restore, have never set a Restore Point and, in fact, have System Protection turned off. I've always used a cloning/imaging program instead. Presently I use Macrium Reflect and recommend it. Saved me a lot of grief. I image my OS and Session Drives nightly, keeping a rolling three nights of images and before any update/upgrade/install/uninstall. Also makes it very easy to upgrade drives.

5) Whatever version is the latest (sorry, not at my audio computer).
CCleaner (free) & Macrium Reflect (free) work for me
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume