View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Shortcuts on German Keyboard...

To my mind this is definitely not related to the Logickeyboard or any other keyboard manufacturer. Using a standard PC keyboard I have exactly the same behavior.

As I am working a lot on Windows I have my own workflow with using the wrong shortcuts (this would definitely suck if you own a Pro Tools keyboard) but I am more and more working outside and they all prefer macs where the shortcuts also work on German OS language. So my whole workflow got disturbed by different shortcuts.

According to the manual the “Auto switch input language” should do this. Even more, if not enabled the shortcuts and the text typing should be in English! However, disabled or enabled – both stay in German.
So I would say this is a bug Avid has to fix but I saw that this non-working feature was added in some v8 update and now I am on v10 (don’t know about v11). What’s going on here?!

As a workaround (not really satisfying):
Add an English keyboard in Windows regional setting.
Let the language toolbar show up in Windows taskbar.
Start Pro Tools and use the language toolbar to change to English or back to German if desired for text typing.

Windows will remember the language setting as long as Pro Tools keeps running. By minimizing Pro Tools or changing to another application window or back to desktop it will switch to German. So you don’t have to touch any setting when changing from Pro Tools to your e-mail app for example.

This made me repair my workflow with the right shortcuts. As I don’t use ä ö ü or ß in track or file names I can keep Pro Tools at English setting. – or _ is where the ß usually is and that’s all I need.

Just for info and to push this thread!
Gandlz