View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Need advice on new HP Workstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I don't think you need or want a Xeon processor. I know the Mac Pro 7.1 has a Xeon and they are widely used for PT, but Xeons are expensive and power hungry. A modern i7 or i9 Intel CPU will provide better performance for the same money or the same performance for less money. Single core clock speeds (which are important in some DAW usage) are also generally higher on the best i7 and i9 chips.
The primary advantage of Xeon chips is better stability by using ECC RAM, which is also more expensive. This is why they are used in business-critical servers. It's obviously your choice as to what you go for, but if I was buying a PC for Pro Tools, I wouldn't bother with a Xeon.

Dominic
I'm going to disagree with this. If you review Avid's approved systems, you DO want Xeon. From my own experience, I had a very nice custom PC with an i7 6-core, an X99 mobo, 32GB Ram, nice nVidia graphics...the whole 9 yards. I had endless issues with it. After wrestling with it for months, I bought the z820, put my HDN card in the recommended slot, loaded up my software and spent the next 18 months tracking full bands almost daily. My tracking session template was about 48 audio tracks, 3 instrument tracks and a dozen aux tracks. Plenty of plugins(all low-latency types), 5 reverbs, DB-33, MiniGrand and Louinge Lizard Wurly. All this included 7 sends on every track for headphone mixes. 64 buffer setting, no complaints about HP latency and almost zero issues.

Sadly, when I sold the studio to(semi) retire, it stayed there(and is still in use). I sure do miss it, but am currently content with an older i7/X79 system that was the studio backup machine(it actually works much better than the X99 rig ever did)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave