View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Default Re: omni/native latency vs mbox pro latency

The latency should actually be better, not worse. Since HD Native is PCIe based, and because the card handles processing of the I/O, it actually reduces latency vs. firewire/usb.

Plus, the new HD converters, including the Omni, are a more advanced design, with a simpler path to the A/D converter, so they actually convert analog to digital faster (this is mentioned in the Avid promo videos about the new HD interfaces when they came out).

And the experience of users has confirmed this. So a buffer of 128 feels more like 64, 64 feels more like 32, etc.

And, it also has a low latency monitoring mode, similar to the other Avid/Digi interfaces. In this mode, plugins on the tracks you're recording onto are disabled. And it's only for 2 tracks at a time, which is probably not an issue if you're just recording stuff yourself. The only thing is that the Omni doesn't have any built-in DSP effects like the Mbox Pro does.

As for the fan noise, it seems to be different for different people, and how they've got it set up. I've been able to hear one at my local Guitar Center and it's very quiet, perfectly fine for tracking near it. The Mac Pro on the floor next to it is actually louder (and that's not very loud).

Also, this is a great time to buy the HD Native/Omni bundle, because of the current special of $1500 off. That price is cheaper than any trade up deal they've done.