View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Managing Signal Level through SC48/System Controller/Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
I don't know if you are referring too the option page, there you can set the input clip treshold. So Venue might say a channel is clipping, while there might be 6 db left. You can also choose between RMS and Peak metering. what might have influence on how you set gains and read the meters.
Yup, -6dB is the factory default for the clip lights to light up which is supposed to give you some "headroom" before actual clip. But I don't like it that way at all. That false clip indication drives me crazy. So I always set that to 0dB (off). What I have found is that even when you hit clip, it's not audible say when a vocalist really screams into the mic unexpectedly and slams the preamp unless you're really clipping hard. It was a pleasant surprise to find that was the case when I first started using the Venue. I don't make a habit out of letting that happen, but it's nice to know you won't get egregious digital clipping when it does on occasion.

I know Midas incorporates a "soft clip" circuit into their mic preamps on their digital consoles per a post by one of their engineers on another forum. This is part of what defines the Midas "sound" apparently. It seems the Venue might be more forgiving than other consoles as well.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry