View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Default Managing Signal Level through SC48/System Controller/Amps

Hi,

I know this is a fairly general question rather than Venue specific (but I am using an SC48). So I hope someone can help me.

Our church system when currently at a normal listening sound level, it doesn't allow me to set good input gain levels on the inputs; they sit way too low (maybe 12db too low on the channel level meter). This means when I plug in Protools (FWx), the levels are way too low (PS I think I can increase these on the Direct Output controls but would preferably fix the core problem).

I obviously need to attenuate the output, and this can be done in several places and an wondering where the "best" place to do this in the signal path -

I guess my options are -
1. Pull back the channel faders - I guess this is a bad idea as to get best resolution, I need them around unity.
2. Pull back groups - not great as I dont have everything routed through sub groups.
3. Matrices (I have each area on a different matrix)
4. Pull back the main console output fader.
5. Turn down the amplifiers (all currently set to max).
6. The system controller (Tannoy TDX1). This wouldn't be a full solution as only the main arrays and subs are fed from this.

At the minute I am think of just backing off the amps, but someone told me that they should generally run high.

What is the best thing to do here?

Thanks
TS