Thread: Gain Staging??
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Gain Staging??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Right. Of course that depends on the input material. Some do it with trim plugs as first insert; I mean, do the first rough mix with faders in unity and tweaking the trim pots until you have low enough levels and a decent starting point for your real mix.

A little math for you guys; few facts:

- 24 bit audio file in theory has 144dB dynamics
- best AD converters are in the ballpark of 120dB dynamics
=> therefore you have all the resolution in -24dBFS

Now that "yellow is the new red" is a really good rule of thumb. That hits the sweet spot and is kind of the old and still very useful 0VU level. And you don't necessarily have to aim for that "new red", staying below is perfectly fine.

And your monitor controller does have a volume knob, doesn't it?
Something missing here is apparent volume versus level. You can have a bunch of tracks or sessions that hit the same level on whatever metering you're using but some will sound louder than others. I run into that at times and just did with a remake of the Nutcracker Suite I'm doing. Every track hit the same level on the final metering but the Russian Dance was sounded quieter. What is needed is not just one type of metering for absolute level but also apparent level or whatever it's called - maybe rms metering? Watch peak metering for overs and rms for the rest. I think that's where PT11HD shines or iZotope Insight with the different metering schemes.

QAPLA!