View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 07:58 PM

Default CPU usage jumps up while doing nothing!!

OK, is this a 6.1.1 'feature'?
After upgrading to 6.1.1 everything was working fine. I had a marathon session where I had a band in my studio and recorded 7 songs. No problem.
The next day we start mixing down the tunes. I find that in the beginning of a mixing session I can add a TON of effects and everything is fine - my CPU usage meter is about 25%.
While the song is playing (with a variety of automation), the meter is solid and remains at about 25%. Once I stop playing, the CPU usage meter jumps up every second about 10% until it reaches about 90% (yellow zone) and sometimes it even peaks into the red.
If I clear the red by clicking on it and then start to play the song again, it will drop back down to about 25%.

My problem is that sometimes, even though I have run a song 4 or 5 times (with CPU usage around 25%), I will make one small change to an EQ or some other effect and suddenly the CPU usage peaks out and I cannot continue without removing some effects. At this point, I usually just save what I got and reboot. If I do that, it falls back into place.
Could 6.1.1 have a memory leak (or more correctly...a CPU leak)?
BTW - This never happened with 5.3 or 6.1

Andrew