View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Intermediate question regarding the use of more than one Master Fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
I was mainly wondering because I usually get by just fine with my Aux channels/submixes, mix bus and one Master fader without any clipping issues.

Moreover, the example used in the article used a high signal count into an Aux/submix.
So if I'm ever doing extreme layering of vocals like Mutt Lange & Def Leppard or Queen, I'll know how to apply the method of trimming a submix with an added Master fader.

See: Current PT reference guide, pg. 1081. "Using a Master fader to trim a submix".
OK, I see. (I found it on page 1095, I guess we have different versions.) It explains a way to use a master fader that I didn't mention. And that's simply because, as you imply, it's not very often one would need it:

Let's say I have a bus populated by so many different track/groups that it would be impractical to select them all and lower the outputs/sends, and I need to lower it because I can't, for some reason do the correction on the recieving end on the bus. (remember, in a 24 or 32 bit session, the headroom is so high that a bus that goes into red doesn't necessarily mean that it distorts. It's perfectly fine to lower the recieving end.)

So I can create a master fader, set it to control the bus in question, and I have a control for the bus level, wherever it's coming from or going to.

I never need that, so I never use it.