View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Dealing with external ADAT converter latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Or are you thinking workflows where the Precision Time Align plugin is made inactive during tracking and then activated during mixing?
yes, add it when mixing...
Nudging or moving tracks around seems awfully error-prone, especially when working with many takes / playlists.

The thing to remember is that even AAX-DSP Plugins add latency. When recording multi-mic'd sources (think drums), you want to have the same plugin on each individual track, even if bypassed, just to make sure the latency is exactly the same.
Otherwise you would get a different result when monitoring the input as opposed to playing back the recording (when plugin delays are compensated).

what I am getting at here is that even the Carbon conversion has an inherent (unknown?) latency that gets automatically compensated after you hit stop on the recording.
so without knowing that latency, there would be no point in even trying to match the differences of your ADAT connected converter box (I am using an Audient ASP800) while tracking with AAX-DSP delay plugins.
For this reason, I try to keep multi-miced sources on the same converter, either the internal Carbon or external ADAT connected.