View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 08:36 PM

Default Re: PT 2018.12 won't launch after reinstatement

Quote:
PSA: folks please stop leaping to reinstalling Pro Tools when you have problems, troubleshoot first. If you reinstall stuff if often does not help and you don't know if the ongoing problem is the same as the original or you created more of a problem.
Even if you should have done this there is normally no reason to uninstall anything on a Mac.
Thank you for responding.
Quote:
How did you uninstall Pro Tools? Just drag and drop the app folder in the trash?
I used AppCleaner. Removed the app and anything related to it. Don't hurt me.
Quote:
What exactly did you on the Mac prior to first finding Pro Tools did not launch?
Nothing, just the usual morning boot up. Everything was fine when I shut down the night before.
Quote:
Any chance macOS updates ran and updated stuff?
I have no apps set for auto updates and nothing happened with eyes on.
Quote:
Updating a Pro Tools perpetual license obviously should not stop a version launching that is also covered by the new license. And a license problem should not cause this behavior, but maybe a licensing change triggered some other problem.
Perhaps.
Quote:
Are you absolutely sure you did not accidentally purchase a subscription or somehow you were sent a wrong licenses? No that should not cause the symptoms you are seeing but maybe it triggers some other problem. What exactly does ILM say for license details on your iLok?
Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12+I/O)
License Status: Active
Type: License
Subtype: Locked Group
Expiration Date: blank
Activate By Date: blank
Deposit Date: 06/26/22 09:59PM
Publisher License ID: xxxxxxxx
Owner: You
Allow Transfer: No
the rest is blank
Quote:
Is the Pro Tools icon bouncing up and down in the dock after you double click it?
No, it's motionless. Never seen that before.
Quote:
If so that can be a sign that it's waiting on Apple code signing/verification servers. I doubt that is the problems, but you can verify your Mac can reach the servers by in the Terminal running... $ ping ocsp.apple.com. And seeing that those validation servers respond to the ping. You can also disconnect your Mac from all networks (Wifi, Wired Ethernet etc.) and that will stop macOS gatekeeper trying to reach the servers.
Thanks. Not going to go there.
Quote:
You mean because Pro Tools will not launch? Or because PT Prefs will not launch? If you mean Pro Tools this does not make sense.
When I trash prefs and restart nothing changes. Still can't launch Pro Tools.
Quote:
Since you can trash prefs at any time and you are supposed to do it with Pro Tools not running. Are you seeing errors when you try to trash prefs. Describe *exactly* what low level things you are doing and seeing.
I can trash prefs but on restart nothing changes, no new prefs (and I can't launch Pro Tools). I double click from the dock, from the Apps folder and right-clicking on an existing session icon and get the same result. No movement, no splash screen, none of the usual launch stuff, just the beach ball when I move the cursor up to the menu area. Command-tab shows that Pro Tools is open but it's not functioning at all. Force quit is the only way to shut it down.
Quote:
Here are some troubleshooting things that would probably make sense to have tried earlier and try now;
Trash prefs (ideally use Pete Gates PT Prefs to make sure this is done correctly).
Reboot the computer.
Hold down 'N' and see if Pro Tools gets further, and you can select built-in output as the playback engine. (yes even if the failure seems to happen before this point the playback engine dialog would open)
Move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs try again. Pro Tools will put the core plugins back. Just leave them like that and don't resinstall anything out until you make more progress. (yes even if the failure seems to happen before plugins load)
Create a new Admin account and test from there.
Install the latest version of iLok License Manager and repeat tests.
All done. No dice. Appreciate the help.