View Single Post
Old 11-23-1999, 06:22 PM

Default Re: digi 001 vs. MOTU 1224

Robert's message included the following:

<snip>S/PDIF mirroring (allows S/PDIF ports to be used for digital effect sends/returns)<snip>

I am very very interested to learn what exactly this means. In my posts above, I decried latency as making it impossible, or at best, undesirable, to use outboard effects processors in mixdown because of the latency issue. A predelay would be automatically placed on all effects loops equal to the latency roundtrip time.

So to be specific, I want to do a mixdown to tracks 23 and 24 in realtime, sending a bunch of stuff to a bus, routing the bus out the SPDIF jack into and out of a reverb unit, coming back in a couple inputs and mixing with the main mix bus to my two track pair. There would normally be at least 10ms of predelay added to the normal operating latency of the reverb unit in this scenario.

Now there's some magic going on here, at least it sounds like it, and you may have done something about the problem. Please reply in enough detail to let me understand exactly what is meant by this. I would appreciate one of the engineers' answer on this, but an accurate, detailed marketing response (biggest oxymoron in history, but the post above looks promising) would be good too. Can I do a zero latency all-SPDIF effects loop with this trick?

Cheers,
Peter
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.