View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyjam View Post
Just getting back into home recording after many years. I have a 2009 MacPro flashed to 5.1 and running Mojave. I updated the CPU and Video card and it's running pretty well. Recently discovered Open Core and based on the videos, it appears relatively easy to install. One never knows, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before installing Open Core 0.7.4 EFI and hopefully upgrading to Big Sur? I have only one system drive and would back it up before attempting. I also read that the original wifi cards don't function sometimes after Open Core is installed. Admittedly, upgrading at my own risk, but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. Hoping to use this system for at least another year or two until there's an Apple silicon MacPro and the software developers catch up.
I have updated WIFI and Bluetooth cards in my 5,1 so they are supported natively in Big Sur. I was previously running OC and Catalina with the original 2010 5,1 WIFI and Bluetooth and there was a setting in OC that allowed them to work.

Pitfalls are that you are running an unsupported OS. Make sure you have a good clone before you start. Your mileage may vary but I’ve had no issues with either Catalina or Big Sur with an HDX system and PT 2021.7
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.