View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Ultimate Perpetual license on same iLok as Standard license

To add to this discussion, If you have both Protools Standard and Protools Ultimate on one iLok dongle, I believe Protools will launch Protools Ultimate given that it is the more featured version of Protools that you are authorized to run. I would suggest getting a second iLok dongle (about $50 USD) for the Protools Ultimate license. Both Protools licenses and iLok dongles can be under the same iLok account but place each license on a separate iLok dongle. That way you are clear to insert only the iLok dongle for the desired version of Protools you want to run.

In the future when your Protools Ultimate license lapses due to not updating the Perpetual Annual Upgrade and Support plan, that license will be locked into the last version you were able to upgrade to at the time. There are essentially no reinstatement licenses available anymore. If you opt to continue to update Protools Ultimate with the Annual Upgrade and Support plan, that is your choice.

For your Protools Standard license, you may continue your Annual Upgrade and Support plan (through 2030) as you have been doing already.

If you happen to place both licenses onto one iLok dongle, when the Protools Ultimate lapses, it may continue to only launch that locked version of Protools Ultimate and not the continually updated version of Protools Standard that you paid through 2030.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1