View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Increasing performance by increasing internal mem

I use PTLE on my Gateway 7510GX that is equipped out of the box with 1 gig of internal memory (512 unremoveable/512 removeable). I am considering replacing the 512 removeable with 1 gig in order to increase the overall internal to 1.5 gig. Is this really worth the investment (about $120.00 USD + tax)? I do get quite a bit of CPU overload when I get to five or six tracks in a session, especially when I start throwing in effects/filters, etc. I've kind of learned to live with it, but it still kind of annoys the heck out of me. Unfortunately, this machine is not dedicated to sequencing and music only...it also doubles as my personal computer, so I know some of my limits are self-imposed. But until I build a computer to dedicate to music use only, this is what I must deal with. I figure the memory upgrade is one of my easiest ways to increase performance, but if anybody has any other tips (in light of my limitations), I would love to hear them. Thanks.