View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Default Latency problem (couldn't find the fix on DUC)

I know LATENCY is among the most talked-about issue on this forum. I’ve spent days searching, but still have not found the solution to my problem described below. Any help would be appreciated!

The problem
Newly recorded audio regions are being written with a noticeable latency. Pro Tools is placing the newly recorded audio region in the right spot (i.e., the start point of the new audio region is exactly where I start recording or punched in). There is no latency effect while recording (I use low latency mode). However, during playback, the underlying audio of the newly recorded track is noticeably later than the other previously recorded tracks. This happens whether I record in low latency mode, when all plug-ins on all tracks (including master fader) are bypassed and/or listening through the 002R or C/24 headphone monitors while recording.

My system
- Pro Tools LE 6.4 (002 R)
- Mac PowerPC G4 (dual 1.42 Ghz processors; Mac OSX 10.3.8 Panther)
- Control 24 control surface
- Waves Diamond Bundle 5.0

Recording set up
- Always record in low latency mode
- Monitoring 8-10 pre-recorded tracks while recording
- No internal buses being used
- Using the C/24 Focusrite mic pre’s while recording
- Same latency effect happens regardless of use of outboard effects (e.g., 1176, Vipre pre)
- Same latency effect happens regardless of different H/W buffer size settings (mainly use 1024; 512 or less triggers an ~6086 error, even with all plug-ins bypassed)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dr. Fred