View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: DINR LE Broadband Noise Reduction

Quote:
I have used this effectively- I just highlight the audio I need it to process and let it do its thing. I found the more I fooled with it the worse it got
My experience has been the opposite. I find "just letting it do it's thing" generally makes the settings "hotter" than I want. My idea with it is to use it just enough to not let it touch any music (I find stock settings screw with the high end and even some upper midrange).

I come up with my setting for a project almost exclusively by using the "audition" button. I'll set the db of removal high, like 6-8 db. Then I hit audition and raise the threshold until I just start to hear something rhythmic (something other than constant noise). Once I hit this point, I back it off one notch and decrease the db.

Then I turn audition off and compare the dry and processed signals. The result is usually that I hear less noise but I don't hear the thing working. Just like breathing in a comp, hearing the NR is a bad thing. The whole purpose is to save your music, not remove parts of it. (IMHO)