View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 03:09 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Surely is a slight bummer for MTRX/HDn owners...

Hm, sounds like the voices don't come from the cards anyway, they just found a way not to eat away all the voices by routing to the cards and back for native plugins. The latter never relied on cards to begin with.

Thing is: In a complex surround session the mixer on HDX eats away so many chips that you'd still probably need more than HDX1 to actually play back those 2k+ tracks? Or has that been overcome as well? Would be great if we could finally play back sessions made on HDn on a HDX1 or HDX2 rig.

The devil could be in the detail. Will find out in June I guess...
The cards won't be eaten by the mixer anymore, the mixer will run native. Only the signal paths selected for dsp will have the mixer on dsp, or so it seems. This way the HDX card will only be used for actual dsp and the rest will run native. The HDX1 systems will become waaaayyyy more useful in post as they will turn into (be it expensive) digilink dongles and maybe run that few dsp plugins still in use. Your computer just needs to be fast enough to be able to run the mixer native.

We upgraded all our rigs to HDX2 a long time ago just to overcome the voice limitation. We have to set all our dsp plugins to native because both HDX cards are fully filled with 'mixer' so we don't actually use dsp. Our preferred plugins are native only anyway. With the hybrid engine we can shift around cards a bit if needed.

I don't know yet if our old cheesegrater mac pro's can run the same sessions fully native. We might have to stick to the old ways for now. The hybrid engine for me feels a bit 'too little too late' (as we already invested into HDX2). By the time we move on to new macs they will be fast enough to run fully native and there will be no need for HDX cards anymore. But for current HDX1 users this will be huge and much needed.