View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Shuffle editing and underlying play lists

i did a search on this a while ago, when I found it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, and the only thing I found was this, from Ducky: I never did it this way, since it seemed too convoluted, and I just chopped up my comps first and then did the removal.

Best thing to do is to break all the songs up into individual sessions. Copy the audio into each session and go to town (not leave, but attach the session setups). Here are a few pointers:
1. you can import tracks from other sessions
2. you can 'save session copy in' to duplicate the session for as many songs as you need
3. you can maually load each audio track as you wish. [yuck]

In the session, group your audio tracks so they do not go out of sync. Now you can move, trim, and snip multiple tracks at a time.

Find the "Consolidate audio region" in the manual and on the Edit menu. This simple duplicates the audio into a new file. CAUTION! Be sure the destructive record is OFF.

Once you have your songs organized, and not until then, start adding the overdubs on separate tracks. and play to your hearts content, one song at a time. Trim, cut, paste, automate, plugins, submixing... all that.

Once you have all the songs how you like them... and the rest of the band, of course, then bounce them to disk and bring them all together into one session. This is your mastering session.
Here you play with final EQ, Compression, limiting, timing/spacing between songs, etc. This should loook like what you want on the final CD.

There are a lot of tools in PTLE to help you make things easier. Review the manual for all the things you have available. As you see that you need something, go to the manual and learn more about it.

As for syncing up two tracks, assuming they start at the same place, you can tell a track exactly where to start. You will find this answer in the Edit Window Overview.

cheers

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos