View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 03:33 AM

Default Re: MIDI gets recorded early

Hi

I am getting midi recorded early about 70 samples 1.5ms to 150 samples 3.5ms early depending on session and VI. This is messing up the feel of rhythmic performances and makes recording midi pretty well useless in Pro Tools.

Options
1. Move to a DAW that works.
2. Treat Pro Tools as merely an audio recorder of Virtual Instrument performances with no midi editing function.
3. Go through a ridiculously convoluted method of working out how much midi is recorded early and then adjust midi clip and then do this same process for every VI in the session.

Here are my notes from testing in case they are of any benefit:

2. Only rely on Audio recorded "Live" from Virtual Instrument. Record both Midi and Live Audio. Midi is only a reference in case you want to either (a.) re-record or (b.) nudge midi to correct location, make changes in Midi editor using the method in option 3.

First create a Aux Bus: VI Recording
Create the VI Instrument track and assign the output to both Master Bus and VI Recording busses. (Start/Win key + Click in Output bus list)
Create a new audio track. Input - VI Recording, Output - Master Bus. Put in Mute.
Enable recording on both VI and Audio tracks.
After recording make the VI track Inactive and Unmute Live Audio track.

3. Nudge Midi track back to correct location using a "Live" audio track as a reference. The VI and Audio tracks are setup the same as Option 1.
i.e.
First create a Aux Bus: VI Recording
Create the VI Instrument track and assign the output to both Master Bus and VI Recording. (Start/Win key + Click in Output bus list)
Create a new audio track. Input - VI Recording, Output - Master Bus. Put in Mute.
Enable recording on both VI and Audio tracks.

After recording to find the amount that the midi is recorded early, compare the VI track with the Audio track like this:
Commit the VI track "Up to this Insert" of the VI. Choose options Source Tracks - Do Nothing and Offline
Select both the Live Audio and Committed Audio clips and hit E to maximise view.
Change to Slip Mode and put timeline just at the start of the audio.
Change Main Time display to Samples.
Zoom in and compare the waves and find the same spot in the waves of both the Live Audio and the Committed Audio.
Note the Samples displayed at both location and subtracted the Committed Sample no. from the LIve Audio Sample no. This will be the number of samples that the Midi track is ahead of time.

To Nudge Midi
Change the Nudge Value to Sample and enter the number of samples found above
Select the Midi clip and hit + (plus symbol) this will nudge the Midi clip by that amount.
If you want check then recommit the VI track "Up to this Insert" of the VI and then compare it with the Live Audio. They should be the same/similar.
Remove Commit Track and mute Live Audio.

Note in sample instruments the wave forms are the same but syths with modulation etc may generate different wave forms due to cycles so they are harder to find the amount early and compare after the nudge.
Note different VI seem to be recorded ahead by different values in the same session so you need to do this for each VI.
Note when you nudge midi forward due to PPQ (960) resolution some notes will move slightly differently so if you play back with Live Audio there will be some phasing at times.
I am normally seeing midi recorded about 70 samples 1.5ms to 150 samples 3.5ms early depending on session and VI.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8