View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: can\'t export General MIDI file

I've read elsewhere on this forum how unfortunate it is that PTLE doesn't support QuickTime instruments. It would be sweet if a future version did, as well as everything that works with GarageBand. I do have Finale's $99 PrintMusic, which allows me to work in standard notation, supports QuickTime instruments, imports MIDI files, and exports MIDI files with multiple instruments that do play properly in QT Player, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't exchange MIDI files with PTLE as gracefully as I had expected.

All I have installed is what came with the PTLE Mbox 2, but usually use mono sounds from Sampletank. It doesn't matter to me if the particular instrument I hear in PTLE sounds exactly like the one others hear when they listen to the MIDI file on whatever player they use, as long as it's the same type of instrument. If I needed it to sound exactly as I set it up, I'd create an audio file, but that would rarely occur for my purpose. Otherwise, Bandstand looks pretty good!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a low-end keyboard for note entry, but I'll admit I'm stumped as to how having the hardware would enable PTLE to properly add the patches or program changes to correctly assign instruments to various channels for a disk file in a project that typically wouldn't input from nor output to the keyboard.

Essentially, it just makes no sense to me why a MIDI file from the project shown below plays in the QuickTime player (not in PTLE) as various keyboards, not various basses as are specified:

[image]http://rj-graffix.com/music/PTLE_MIDI_channels.jpg[/image]