View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 01:45 PM

Default Changing outputs during playback causes digital noise on input channels

I'm seeing a strange issue on my M1 MacBook Air running Pro Tools 2022.07 on macOS 12.4 (Monterey). I use an external summing mixer in my set up...and I've see this happen with both an Apollo x16 and an Apogee Symphony MKII 32x32. I create an Aux track with input channels 3 and 4 assigned to the interface so that I can monitor the mix coming back into Pro Tools. I then started playback and while playback was happening I assigned one of the audio tracks out channels 1 and 2 of the interface into my mixer. I did this a couple more times on a couple other tracks and eventually I got some nasty noise coming into the Aux track that was taking the input from interface channels 3 and 4. It's like a digital noise (like a super small buffer repeating super fast).

The noise persists, even when playback is stopped. You can switch the input of the Aux track to channels 1 and 2 and the problem will go away, however as soon as you switch back to channels 3 and 4, it will come back. The only way to get it to stop is to either relaunch Pro Tools or toggle the sample rate on the interface to something else, and then back to what it was previously set to (in my case from 44.1 to 48 and then back to 44.1).

And weirdly enough, I've only seen this happen on inputs 3 and 4 at the moment. I haven't gotten it to happen if I start with input channel 1 and 2.

The noise is pretty nasty, so it's pretty annoying when it happens, and definitely interrupts your workflow. Anyone else seeing this?